Official Rules & Regulations
WHISKAS® Gift Card Giveaway and Collect 4 Promotion
OFFICIAL RULES & REGULATIONS
This Promotion is intended for viewing and participation in Canada only and shall be construed and evaluated according to the laws of Canada. Please do not proceed if you are not a legal resident of Canada at time of entry. Void elsewhere and where prohibited.
A valid email address is required to participate in the Promotion. Many public libraries, retail businesses and others offer free computer and internet access and a number of internet service providers and other companies offer free email addresses.
1. PROMOTION PERIOD: The WHISKAS® Gift Card Giveaway and Collect 4 Promotion (the “Promotion”) consists of an instant win game ( the “Instant Win Game” ) and grand prize sweepstakes ( the “Grand Prize Sweepstakes”) and commences on April 1, 2013 at 12:00:00 am Eastern Time (“ET”), and closes on August 9, 2013 at 11:59:59 PM ET (the “Promotion Period”), or while the supply of PIN Codes lasts, whichever is earlier.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Promotion is only open to legal residents of Canada who are 13 years of age or older, are residing and present in Canada at the time of entry, and have a valid email address. Individuals who, a director, officer, or employee, of Mars Canada Inc. (the “Sponsor”) or its subsidiaries and associated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, the independent Promotion Judges (collectively the “Promotion Entities”), or persons who are domiciled or a member of the immediate family (defined as mother, father, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters and husband or wife) of any of the above persons, are NOT eligible to participate in the Promotion.
3. NO PURCHASE ENTRY: To receive a random PIN Code for participation in the WHISKAS® Gift Card Giveaway and Collect 4 Promotion without purchase, write your name and address on a 5”x5” white paper and mail with a return self-addressed stamped envelope to: WHISKAS Gift Card Giveaway and Collect 4 Promotion, 5225 Satellite Drive, Mississauga, ON L4W 5P9. No-Purchase PIN Code requests must be postmarked by July 14, 2013 and received by July 19, 2013. Limit one (1) request per outer mailing envelope per day, while supplies last. Requests that are mechanically reproduced or made in any fashion other than as specified herein are void.
4. HOW TO REGISTER: To enter the Promotion, visit www.whiskas.ca/contest during the Promotion Period and click on the “Promotions” banner to access the Promotion website (the “Website”), click on the “REGISTER” button, then read and accept these Official Rules and complete your email address, complete the registration form by entering your name, email address, create a password, enter your full address ( street, city, province and postal code) , enter your daytime telephone number, enter your age , enter the security code shown and click on the “NEXT” button. Upon completing the registration process you will receive a registration confirmation email. When you return to the site after your initial registration, you will not need to register again, but you will need to log in. Limit of one (1) registration per person and email address. If it is discovered that you have registered or attempted to register more than ONCE, or attempted to obtain more than the stated number of instant win game plays or entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations or logins, or any other methods, all of your game plays/entries will be declared null and void, and any prize you might have been entitled to will not be awarded.
5. HOW TO PLAY THE INSTANT WIN GAME and ENTER THE GRAND PRIZE SWEEPSTAKES GAME AND ODDS OF WINNING: Each PIN Code found in the sticker on the front of specially-marked packs of WHISKAS® Dry food for cats has an opportunity to be a Instant Win Prize winner. After submitting your registration, select the Prize Pool you wish to enter by clicking on the Prize Pool name and then click on the “NEXT” button. Confirm the Prize Pool entered by clicking on the “CONFIRMED” button. Then enter the unique ten-digit alpha-numeric PIN Code found inside the sticker on participating packages of WHISKAS® Dry food for cats, and click the “SUBMIT” button to see if you are a winner. PIN Codes can be found inside stickers on the following participating specially-marked packs of WHISKAS® Dry food for cats:
- WHISKAS® MEATY SELECTIONS® 2kg
- WHISKAS® SEAFOOD SELECTIONS® 2kg
- WHISKAS® MEATY SELECTIONS® 4kg
- WHISKAS® SEAFOOD SELECTIONS® 4kg
- WHISKAS® MEATY SELECTIONS® 9.1kg
- WHISKAS® SEAFOOD SELECTIONS® 9.1kg
There are a total of approximately One Million One Hundred Thousand (1,100,000) specially-marked stickers on WHISKAS® Dry food packs containing PIN Codes at the beginning of the Promotion Period. For each valid PIN Code you enter, you will receive one (1) game play for a chance to win an Instant Win Prize and one (1) entry into the Grand Prize Sweepstakes. Each valid PIN Code can only be entered one (1) time during the Promotion Period. Limit of one (1) PIN Code entry per person per day, regardless of whether you receive PIN Code(s) by purchase or by mail.
Instant Win Prizes are randomly time-seeded throughout the Promotion Period. An Instant Win Prize is available to be won by the first entrant who enters a valid PIN Code at or after the time that an Instant Win Prize is randomly seeded. Odds of winning an Instant Win Prize are dependent on the total number of valid PIN Codes submitted and the time that the PIN Code is entered during the Promotion Period. Number of Instant Win Prizes available will decrease as prizes are won and claimed.
Entrants must retain original PIN Codes found on specially–marked WHISKAS® Dry pack Stickers (or received by mail). If you are unable to produce, when requested, the original sticker/mail PIN Code corresponding to your submitted entry, you will not be eligible to claim an Instant Win Prize, in the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Only potential winners who have been verified in accordance with Rule #9 below are eligible to receive an Instant Win Game Prize.
8. PRIZES: There are a total of six hundred and three (603) prizes available to be won at the outset of the Promotion.
a) Three (3) Grand Prize Sweepstakes Grand Prizes: each Grand Prize consists of one (1) $ 5,000 CDN Gift Card & a one (1) year supply of any variety of WHISKAS® cat food which consists of one hundred and Seventy Eight WHISKAS® Wet food trays (100g), Twenty Five (25) WHISKAS® TEMPTATIONS® treats (85g) pouches, and nine (9) x 2 kg bags of WHISKAS® dry food to be awarded in the form of actual product and / or coupons redeemable for product (Approximate retail value of the one-year supply cat food portion of the Grand Prize is $ 230CDN). Total approximate retail value of each Grand Prize is $5,230 CDN
b) Six hundred (600) Instant Win Game Prizes allocated in three (3) Prize Pools as follows:
- Generic Prize Pool has three hundred and fifty four (354) Instant Win Prizes; each prize consists of one (1) fifty dollar ($ 50.00CDN) Visa Gift card (ARV = $ 50.00CDN)
- Sobeys Prize Pool has one hundred and thirty five (135) Instant Win Prizes which are regionally allocated as follows:
- Atlantic Region (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Newfoundland) = Thirty Nine (39) Instant Win Prizes; each prize consists of a fifty dollar ( $ 50.00 CDN) Sobeys Gift card (ARV = $ 50.00CDN)
- Ontario Region = forty four (44) Instant Win Prizes; each prize consists of a fifty dollar ( $ 50.00 CDN) Sobeys Gift card (ARV = $ 50.00CDN)
- Quebec Region = fifty two (52) Instant Win Prizes; each prize consists of a fifty dollar ( $ 50.00 CDN) Sobeys Gift card (ARV = $ 50.00CDN)
- Metro Prize Pool has One hundred and eleven (111) Instant Win Prizes; each prize consists of a fifty dollar ( $ 50.00 CDN) Metro Gift card (ARV = $ 50.00CDN)
All Gift cards are subject to the issuer’s Terms and Conditions of Use.
Odds of winning an Instant Win Prize depend on the Prize Pool selected, the number of Instant Win Prizes available in that Prize Pool, the date and time of entry and the number of Instant Win Prizes remaining in that Prize Pool as prizes are won and claimed. Instant Win Prize Pools with a regional prize allocation depend on the entrant’s region and the total number of eligible entries received from that region in that Prize Pool. The total number of entries received in a given Prize Pool will depend on factors that include the total number of eligible entrants, the number of eligible entrants from each region, desired grocery banner preference, and entrants’ assessment of the odds of winning a prize in a given Instant Win Prize Pool.
Odds of winning a Sweepstakes Grand Prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received. Limit of one (1) Sweepstakes Grand Prize per household.
The one-year food supply portion of the Sweepstakes Grand Prize is intended to reflect the amount of food that would reasonably be purchased by a single consumer to feed a single cat in a typical year. In no circumstances will the Sponsor be responsible for purchases by the winner in excess of the stated value of the Grand Prize.
In no event will the Sponsor be liable for more than three (3) Sweepstakes Grand Prizes and six hundred (600) Instant Win Prizes as disclosed in these Official Rules.
9. SWEEPSTAKES DRAW: A random draw will be conducted on August 14, 2013 in Mississauga, Ontario at approx. 12:00:00 AM (ET) to select the potential winner of the Grand Prize Sweepstakes Grand Prize from among all eligible entries received
10. CONDITIONS FOR PRIZE CLAIMS:
a) Sweepstakes Grand Prize :
Potential winners of a Sweepstakes Grand Prize will be contacted by telephone and/or email with instructions on how to claim their Prize. In order to win, each potential winner must correctly answer, unaided, a mathematical skill-testing question to be administered via telephone or email, and must otherwise comply with the Official Rules and Regulations. If any potential winner is determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, not to have complied with these Official Rules in any way, he/she will be disqualified. If a potential winner cannot be contacted after three (3) attempts within fifteen (15) days from the date of being identified as a potential winner, he/she will be disqualified. Prior to being declared a winner and receiving a Prize, the potential winner (or in the case of a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) must have completed, signed and returned a Declaration and Release Form by the date indicated by the Sponsor or its agent on the Form
b) Instant Win Prizes
The potential winner must correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question online, without assistance of any kind, whether electronic, mechanical or otherwise. Prize will then be automatically mailed to the verified Winner's address as provided in the registration form.
c) ALL PRIZES:
Potential winners (or parent/legal guardian, where potential winner is below the age of majority) may be required to furnish proof of identification that may include a driver’s license or other form of picture identification as part of the verification process. Potential winners (or parent/legal guardian, where applicable) may be required to furnish the original product packaging sticker or mail with the original PIN Code corresponding to the submitted entry; if any potential winner fails to produce the original PIN Code materials upon request, he/she will not be eligible to claim the Prize, in the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
If any prize winner is not in compliance with these Official Rules, incorrectly answers the skill-testing question, declines the Prize, or if telephone/email/mail correspondence between the Sponsor or its agent and potential winner’s telephone/email/mail is returned as undeliverable without a forwarding number or address, or if the winner fails to return the Declaration and Release form by the specified date, the Prize may be forfeited. The signed Declaration and Release Form, among other things, releases the Sponsor, its respective subsidiaries and associated companies, agents, including advertising and promotional agencies, and the Promotion Judges, from all liability relating to the Promotion and acceptance and/or use of the Prize and confirms winner’s compliance with the Official Rules.
11. COLLECT 4 COUPON: There are Fifteen Thousand (15,000) Coupons available at the start of the promotion. Upon entering four (4) valid PIN Codes you will receive a coupon for a free bag of WHISKAS® Dry food (2kg) while supplies last. (ARV $7.99CDN)
Coupon will be mailed to the address provided upon registration. Please allow 4 -6 weeks for delivery.
12.1 By entering the Promotion, entrants agree to abide by these Official Rules and Regulations and decisions of Sponsor and/or the Promotion Judges, made in their sole discretion, which are final and binding on all entrants with respect to all aspects of the Promotion.
12.2 Any PIN Codes obtained through unauthorized or illegitimate sources/channels, including any PIN Codes purchased or obtained online, or at a live auction; or which are not original, are illegible, have been tampered with, mutilated, altered, reproduced, stolen, forged, counterfeited, irregular, marked improperly; or which contain printing or production errors, or any errors in any way, will be void at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
12.3 No correspondence will be entered into except with the potential winners/selected entrants. The Sponsor is not responsible for typographical errors or any other errors in the offer or administration of this Promotion, whether human, mechanical, clerical, electronic, or technical in nature, including but not limited to errors in advertising materials and the Official Rules and Regulations.
12.4 In the event of a conflict between any Promotion details contained in these Official Rules and Promotion details contained in Promotion materials (including but not limited to point of sale, television, and print advertising, promotional packaging, and other promotion media), the details of the Promotion as set forth in these Official Rules shall prevail.
12.5 All Prizes must be accepted as awarded and are non-transferable or convertible to cash or other substitutes except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize(s) of equal or higher value at its sole discretion. Any portion of the prize(s) that is unused or which is not used according to these Official Rules and Regulations will be forfeited and will have no cash value.
12.6 All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. By entering this Promotion, each entrant agrees to the use of his/her name, address, and or photograph or other likeness, as well as his/her appearance at publicity events, without any additional compensation and as required by the Sponsor if he/she is declared a winner. Winners may be required to sign a publicity release to this effect.
12.7 Sponsor and the Promotion Entities do not warrant that access to the Promotion will be uninterrupted. Sponsor accepts no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, incomplete, misdirected or postage-due entries or any failure of the website during the Promotion Period or for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material relating to the Promotion. Proof of transmission (screenshots or captures of game play, etc.) and/or mailing does not constitute proof of delivery.
12.8 The Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant’s registration in the Promotion (and void all associated entries) or entitlement to a Prize, if, in the sole discretion of the Sponsor, they determine or suspect that the entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion by cheating, hacking, deception, or other fraudulent, deceptive or unfair playing practices (including any entries generated by script, macro, robotic, programmed, or any other automated means).
12.9 In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, entries made online will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person assigned to an email address by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain. Potential winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder for that email address.
12.10 If a dispute arises relating to Prize won, a combination of factors will be assessed in determining if you are in fact eligible to win a prize; i. the Play Receipt including the unique PIN Code, and its corresponding play data in the Promotion database, will be reviewed to determine the legitimacy of the claim, ii. The Promotion Judges will be consulted to compare the pre-generated game data with the game play data you are presenting or have generated. Ultimately it will be the results of the Promotion Judges’ analysis, which will determine your entitlement to any Prize. The review of any such dispute will not commence prior to two weeks following the Promotion end date noted herein. In the event the Promotion Judges’ analysis reveals valid prize claims are greater than the number of Prizes available as set forth in these Official Rules, the Sponsor reserves the right to conduct a random drawing amongst all eligible prize claimants whose claims have not yet been redeemed, to award the remaining number of advertised Prizes in the prize category or Prize Pool in question. Prizes will stop being awarded in the event Sponsor becomes aware of an error respecting the number of Prizes. In no event will the Sponsor be liable for more than the stated number of Prizes available in the prize category or Prize Pool in question.
12.11 Any attempt to deliberately damage any web site or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Promotion, including but not limited to any fraudulent claims, is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law. Entrant engaging in any of the foregoing activities may be disqualified and will forfeit any prize(s) won.
12.12 As a condition of entering, entrants (or their parent or legal guardian if an eligible minor) agree: (a) to release Sponsor and Promotion Entities, and each of their officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all liability, loss or damage incurred with respect to participating in the Promotion or the awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any Prize or any travel related thereto, (b) that under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, or any Prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys’ fees and court costs.
12.13 The Sponsor reserves the right to suspend, cancel or modify the Promotion at any time, subject to the approval of the Regie des alcools, des courses et des jeux in Quebec, for any reason, including fraud, technical failures including any network server or hardware failure, viruses, bugs, errors in programming, or any other errors or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor, that corrupt the administration, security, integrity or proper play of the Promotion.
12.14 This Promotion is exclusively governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein. Any dispute arising hereunder shall be adjudicated solely in the applicable court in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, municipal and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
12.15 For Quebec residents: any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a Publicity Contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
12.16 In the event of any discrepancies between the English language Rules and the non-English language Official Rules, the English language Official Rules shall prevail.
12.17 The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. In particular, Sponsor’s employees are not authorized to waive, modify or amend any provision or provisions of these Official Rules in any manner whatsoever.
® Registered Trademarks © Mars Canada Inc., 2013. All rights reserved.